Sunday, April 9, 2017

Adwaita

This weekend I have been playing with an open source project, the Processing language, which seems to be a great tool for computer graphics design/development, it provides and high level language, abstracting you from the more  l ow-level technical aspects of graphics programming.

I have been looking  on how to use it with Python as the development language, I have found two options:

  1. Python Mode for Processing which is a language supporte addon for Processing's IDE, it work as a wrapper for the processing java lib, it's based on jython,
  2. pyprocessing pypi package which is a regular python package, implementing the processing language using OpenGL and Pyglet for the renering


I preferred to go with the pypi package in order to be able to keep developing in a python ecosystem without java dependencies. Unfortunately I have found the pyprocessing development has been abandoned. I have found a github repository with the last commit from 5 years ago, and which actually fails to install/run because of a missing one line import statement.

So here I was again, forking yet another repository, because I found a project which I believe to have a great potential but for whatever reason is no longer maintained. Since this is becoming a common case, creating "keep it working" repositories, I gave it some more thought.

There are many abandoned, yet useful/interesting open source projects. It most commonly happens when projects are started/developed by a single person, sometimes just as prototypes, and at a given point in time the author loses the interest/capacity to maintain it. There is a lot of people with great technical skills/interest in software development, but very limited in community/team building. I have been there.

This is the reason why I have decided to start a new project, with the name "Adwaita" whose goal is to maintain open source projects vitality. The primary focus will be on keeping "poorly maintained" open source projects in better conditions to be adopted/driven by project specific communities.

In an "inception" kick-off style, Adwaita will be the first project managed by the Adwaita task force.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Testing OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

It has been a long time since I have tested a new distro, so here I am again, Now trying openSUSE Tumbleweed. I never tried openSUSE for more than a few days, so hopefully this time I willl build my own oppinion. I am going for Tumbleweed, the rolling release, since I am the bleeding edge guy.

Install

I have selected the NET install iso, because I have a decent internet connection, and I like to have a clean desktop, only installing software as needed. The iso is available from http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/ .

I have created a bootable usb with the following procedure:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Create_a_Live_USB_stick_using_Windows#Using_ImageUSB

Post Install Issues

After installing a 3rd SDD disk do my desktop computer 2 years ago, installing any OS resulted in a broken boot system. It was no different with Tumbleweed, I just ended on a GRUB2 "No such device". However it was quite easy to fix, OpenSUSE's media has a "Boot from installed system" which detects an existing install, and boot from it. It worked like a charm. Then having some technical background on the issue. With a full booted and functional system, I have installed GRUB to the MBR from all the 3 disks, and it was done. A reboot presented me a nice boot graphical logo to select the system (OpenSUSE Tumbleweed or Windows 10).

I have switched from Gnome (2.0) to Cinnamon for the last couple of years, unfortunately the installer does not have a Cinnamon option for the install type. I have selected "Minimal X Environment" so that I could install cinnamon from the repositories later, that got me into another issue. The Minimal X provided IceWM and YaST «a nice system config management tool», however while attempting to configure the WiFi network, I have found that the system was missing the core packages required for Wifi connectivity (iw; wpa_supplicant), it was kind of blocking since I don't have a wired network. I had to boot into Windows to fetch the packages from:

I have filled a bug report for this issue:

I am currently finishing this blog post from Tumbleweed, hopefully I will report about a more wide experience during next week :)